Thursday, August 11, 2011

TV

One of my new favorite shows... and I can't believe I'm saying this!... is Hell's Kitchen.  I refused for years to watch this program solely on the principle that I didn't want to watch a show where a master chef yells and curses at the contestants for an hour.  I mean, how fun is that not?  However, several months ago I got stuck on Gordon Ramsey's other show, Kitchen Nightmares on the BBC network, and I absolutely loved it... so I figured I'd give Hell's Kitchen a try. 

My first episode I kept expecting to get frustrated and mad at the injustice of unnecessary bullying by Ramsey,but my expectations were not met.  Yes, he yells and gets mad and curses every other word, but.... it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I actually get more mad at some of the contestants!  On the current season there is one chick I really wish would get booted off, but she is doing just enough to stay on even though everyone on her team can't stand her attitude.  I just grit my teeth every time she talks to her teammates - she is a drama queen to the max.  And then there is our own Tennessean who blamed everyone else for all his mistakes...  way to go representing our proud state!  His food was always losing in challeges and he had a bad attitude when it came to defending his right to be there.  I really hate to say it, but I was so glad when he got kicked off. 

The food is not the star of the show like I thought it would be.  Many cooking shows make a big deal of presenting the food and giving you close ups of mouthwatering details.  This show is about the people and cooking is just something they do to get the prize at the end - a head chef position at a prominent NY restaurant.  It's more about testing their knowledge and ability rather than showcasing the actual dishes they make.  An interesting twist - especially when you consider all the other cooking shows out there... it takes alot to separate from the pack these days.

Hell's Kitchen... if you like cooking shows and want to see one comparable to a roller derby in the kitchen, give this one a try.  It's fun in a rubber-necking-a-traffic-accident kind of way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment